I have hit that point in the semester where I am desperate to save as much money as I can. I have thoroughly researched student discounts in three categories- Fashion, Food, and Entertainment and Travel- to take advantage of every possible discount as I can as a college student. Here are my many student savings secrets…
Fashion: When it comes to buying clothes on a college budget, it can be rough. My personal favorite store for trendy clothes for an affordable price is Boohoo. For great shoes that may not be the ideal price but are great quality and are very durable, Steve Madden is the perfect store.
- Boohoo: Boohoo 35% off purchases for students. Boohoo is a hip fashion retailer that has the latest trends at reasonable prices.
- Express: At express they offer 15% off online and in-store purchases.
- Forever 21: For students, Forever 21 10% off full price online orders.
- Levi’s: Levi’s gives a 15% off online and in-store discount on purchases.
- ModCloth: For vintage shopping, save 15% on all clothing at ModCloth when you register as a member.
- Steve Madden: With your college ID offer 10% off in store. Now it’s nearly impossible to say no to the shoes you absolutely “need”
- Madewell: Students can get 15% off at Madewell by simply bringing an ID.
- Kate Spade: Kate Spade gives a 15% discount when you show your ID upon checking out.
- Topshop: At TopShop, Get 10% off online and in store.
- J Crew: At any J.Crew store, you can get 15% off all full priced items by showing your ID.
Entertainment and Travel: As a college student, traveling is a necessary part of the college experience. Especially since Boston is so close to many other major cities, using discounts from Amtrak and Greyhound is a must. Also, for streaming music, Apple and Spotify both offer student discounts. For those who read Wall Street Journal or The New York Times, those publications also offer a discount for students.
- The Wall Street Journal: For students, it is $1 a week for both print delivery and digital access of The Wall Street Journal.
- Apple: At Apple, students can obtain a discount of up to $300 off a MacBook. Also, a pair of Beats wireless headphones is complimentary when you buy a Mac or iPad Pro.
- Apple Music: Apple offers Apple Music for $4.99 a month for students, and they give a three month free trial.
- Spotify: Spotify gives students have access to Spotify Premium for only $4.99 a month.
- Amtrak: As a student you can get discounts on train tickets by receiving 15% off on Amtrak
- AMC Theaters: On Thursdays with your school ID you can get discounted tickets at AMC Theaters.
- Greyhound: With a Student Advantage Discount Card from Greyhound, you save 20% on Greyhound travel fares.
- Cinemark: With your student ID, you get a special student rate at Cinemark theaters.
- New England Aquarium: At the New England Aquarium, students are able to purchase discounted aquarium admission tickets.
- Amazon: Amazon offer a discount to students for free two-day shipping for six months, and discounted Prime.
- The New York Times: The New York times offers their paper at just 99 cents for the first four weeks and 50% off the regular rate after the four weeks is up.
Food: There is arguable nothing better than free or discounted food. Here are a few restaurants that offer special discounts and free items for students.
- Arby’s: At certain locations with your student ID, Arby’s offers a 10% discount.
- Buffalo Wild Wings: Get a 10% discount off wings with your student ID at Buffalo Wild Wings.
- Burger King: That burger and fries are 10% off when you show your ID at select Burger King locations.
- Dairy Queen: Dairy Queen offers a 10% discount for students with ID at some locations.
- McDonalds: At McDonalds, a McFlurry or burger comes with a 10% discount with an ID.
- Pizza Hut: Depending on the Pizza Hut, they offer a 10 to 20% off pizza.
- Qdoba: At Qdoba, they offer a free drink when you purchase a meal.
- Subway: With your student ID at some Subway locations, you can receive 10% off your subway meal.
- Chick-Fil-A: At various Chick-fil-A locations, you can get a free drink by showing your ID.
- Chipolte: Most Chipotle locations will offer a free drink with your meal when you show your ID.
For savings on everything, here are two helpful websites for college students that I found:
Hopefully these saving secrets for students can help you save money and maybe now you will actually have enough in your bank account to splurge.